Review The Blood Countess

pandora englishThe Blood Countess is the first book in the supernatural Pandora English series by supermodel and crime author, Tara Moss, where the paranormal and fashion worlds meet. Moss does not disappoint her readers; she captivates and draws them into the enchanted existence. 19-year-old Pandora English, an orphaned, quiet, country girl with dreams of being a fashion journalist, accepts the invitation to live with her mysterious Great-Aunt Celia in New York City.

But not everything is as it seems for Pandora, nor is New York what she expects. For one, Pandora’s great-aunt’s gothic mansion is in a dark and misty Manhattan suburb, Spektor, that does not exist on any maps nor has anyone heard of it. Celia, formerly a Hollywood Golden Age fashion designer, is strangely young and vibrant and constantly wears a black veil.

After landing her dream job at the aptly named Pandora magazine, Pandora covers the launch of the miracle beauty cream BloodofYouth. Feeling ill-at-ease with BloodofYouth, Pandora sets out to find the truth about the miracle cream, but her search for the truth leads her to dark, unknown places.

The Blood Countess is a beautifully-written novel that kept me hooked from the first until the last page. It is not a vampire novel, but contains paranormal themes and human, superhuman, supernatural and mythological characters and elements of mystery, romance and action. It is an easy-to-read and accessible novel for both teenagers and adults without any exaggerated morbidity. Pandora’s first person narration reads as though she is talking directly to the reader.

The Blood Countess clearly establishes the characters and setting for future novels in the Pandora English series, in particular the mystery surrounding Pandora’s past. The sequel The Spider Goddess is due for release on December 1, 2011. The novel is bound to suit the ‘tastes’ of supernatural and vampire genre readers.

I enjoyed The Blood Countess so much that it is one of the best books I have ever read, even rivalling Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight. I eagerly wait to get my hands on The Spider Goddess.

Mrs Morris.

One thought on “Review The Blood Countess